Monday, June 21, 2010

Why you are homeless:

So, since my last roommate moved out, I've been debating whether or not to replace him. I don't financially need someone to move in, but I think that I would like a new roommate if he/she were a good one. I mean, for as long as I'm single, it's just nice to share expenses, and I do also like the energy of living with another person. So, I finally decided I'd put an ad up on Craigslist just to see what kind of responses I would get.

My ad did a pretty thorough job of describing the place and myself. I've done the looking-for-a-roommate thing multiple times before, so I pretty much know what people are looking for. I did my best to provide as much information up-front as possible just to keep from wasting anyone's time, and also to hopefully do some passive filtering. I would like to limit the amount of people to whom I give out my real email/phone number/home address. At the end of my listing, I asked that anyone who wants to contact me to please not just send a one-line email message. I want to know more about you than that (and verify that you're not a scammer / serial killer/ douch-nozzle) before I call you or invite you to my home.

I received some very nice emails where potential roommates identified themselves as real people and told me a little about themselves. Some even provided a Facebook/MySpace link for me. Here are the rest - the poor lost souls without the necessary social or reading skills to save themselves from their homeless plight. Again, I remind you that the last paragraph of my ad was a single sentence requesting that you NOT send me a one-line email (I will change names, etc. and otherwise do my best to protect the identities of the mentally deficient):


still opean get back to me ? im fazul e mail or call (636)***-****

What's with the odd spacing? It should be noted that "fazul" sent me an email from an address that showed up as something like MikeandMaggie2006@free-email.com "Mike and Maggie" appeared as the sender.


Give me a call 636 *** **** I live at 94 & 70 now by wal mart. Thanks John 636 *** ****

"John's" email address was something like JOHNWANTAHARLEY@AOL.COM. I'm not sure what listing your phone number twice is going to accomplish. This isn't a voice message, I don't need a second chance to hear it and write it down. Good luck getting that Harley. (And get off AOL... seriously?! What kind of sick, twisted freak still uses AOL?!)


My name is Bob. My # 913-***-****. I have employment here in St. Charles, and would like to live in area that I work. Call any time. Thank you.

Ok, this one is actually a couple sentences long... and includes all sorts of juicy details about himself. But wait... does he sound like a robot to anyone else? I'm already pretty intimately involved with my home computer, and I would not like to cause any sort of robot - computer love triangle. Oh! One more thing.... "Bob" emailed me from an address like fred7@att.net "Fred" appeared as the sender.


Hi my names joe read your ad online about the roommate. I would maybe like to come by and see the room. I'm a 20 year old male and have a full time job me and my girlfriend would be moveing in she is 20 also with fulltime job please call me at 636*******

No, she won't be "moveing in." Neither will you.


i am interested in your listing if you could give me a call asap i would appreciate it very much my number is 314******* please call me

*sigh*


There were more, but I think I must have deleted them before I decided to start collecting them. I remember that one guy told ME how much he was going to be paying. Anyway, if you are reading this Blog from a coffee shop because you don't have a home with internet of your own, maybe now you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment